Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tassel Tails







Confession: I adore tassels and scatter them like birdseed on cupboards, doorknobs, drawers and the like. I especially love finding unique handmade ones that reflect the palette of a particular room.

Do they serve a purpose? Absolutely not. They exist solely as a decorative embellishment...an unexpected note of whimsy on otherwise utilitarian household items. A doorknob is just a doorknob, but with a tassel...ahhh. It becomes a gateway to a hidden chamber, a beckoning invitation to a smile within.
Begun in 16th century France (no surprise), they are SOP for decorators worldwide now.
Ours shown have been attacked by pets both feline and canine, but somehow have survived largely intact.



Terrible tasseler,
ABL

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Living well is the best revenge...and a choice we make every day. Join me as I celebrate the bounty of beauty in all its forms: fashion, homestyle, accessories and everyday richness...as I juggle the roles of Mommy, wife, daughter, dog mommy, creative director, Zumba instructor, volunteer...all with more than a passing glance backward to an old-school, classic time when style was a way of life