Just picked this up, for those of you jonesing for some late 70s retro preppy skirting. I am going to wrap myself into this when it arrives by post. www.kaycehughes.com
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Words people say all the time--and often mispronounce:
1. Ornery (I hear folks turn this into "onnery")
2. Verbiage (somehow gets said as "verbage")
3. Palm (comes out as "pall-m")
4. Nuclear (we've all heard this one as "nucular")
5. Ralph Lauren, as in Lauren Bacall (even the Polomeister himself couldn't have adopted"Laur-enn")
6. Beaucoup, as in the French word for "very much, or a lot" (now accepted as
"boo-coo" as in having "boo-coo bucks" when it should be "bo-coo")
7. Boutique, again French for a small, exclusive specialty shop (often uttered as "bo-teek" in stead of the correct "boo-teek")
And how did "out of pocket" come to mean "out of touch?"
Didn't this used to mean "at your own cost?"
- Anne Lake
- Living well is the best revenge...and a choice we make every day. Join me as I celebrate the bounty of beauty in all its forms: fashion, homestyle, accessories and everyday richness...as I juggle the roles of Mommy, wife, daughter, dog mommy, creative director, Zumba instructor, volunteer...all with more than a passing glance backward to an old-school, classic time when style was a way of life