Monday, January 18, 2010

Mascot Mania

Greyhound...

Chasing the logo...
Sky fox...

Chasing the jaguar...

Otherwise known as hood ornaments...I am a long-time buff. Our only car that doesn't have one is my husband's Audi convertible--he refuses to mess with what he considers perfection.

Every car I've owned since my teens has had its own mascot. My taste has changed over time--in the old days I favored horses, oxer jumps and the like. I have quite a collection from over the years, which I've recycled as cars die off. Placement of the mascot is everything: if possible, it should have some amusing relationship to the automobile manufacturer's actual hood ornament (if there is one). Since I favor animal mascots, I like the visual illusion that the mascot is in hot pursuit of the car's hood ornament. Examples: my fox--who has been chasing the Jaguar ornament since '98--and my greyhound, in mid-flight above the MB logo on the station wagon. I call the greyhound "George" in honor of my dear whippet who passed away in July...I feel his spirit guides me in my daily travels. Also, it's in honor of my Montague, my dear IG. I am trying to convince the son that the Wrangler would look oh-so-swell with the addition of one of Mom's little critters, but so far no such luck. Not butch enough, I guess...

I have gotten mine in various places. Tack shops, preppy clothing stores such as the Wilmington Country Store in Greenville DE, and online (ebay has some interesting ones from time to time). They can be custom-ordered in many places.

Mascot Mommy,
ABL

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Love the mascots! So clever.

Summer is a Verb said...

That fox!!! My fav animal...XXOO

uncoolmom17 said...

So interesting and amusing. I've never seen two hood ornaments on the same car before.

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

Chasing the jaguar...very fun! xx

About Me

My photo
Living well is the best revenge...and a choice we make every day. Join me as I celebrate the bounty of beauty in all its forms: fashion, homestyle, accessories and everyday richness...as I juggle the roles of Mommy, wife, daughter, dog mommy, creative director, Zumba instructor, volunteer...all with more than a passing glance backward to an old-school, classic time when style was a way of life