Monday, January 18, 2010

The Knife Box



One of my favorite dining room accessories has always been the knife box, or more to the point (ha ha), a pair of 'em.

Someone recently visited us and was curious about them. I did a quick google and discovered that their origins are in the early 18th century, when the vogue for full flatware sets began. Until then, one arrived for dinner carrying one's own knife and spoon, sans fork, whose invention was yet to occur. Today they are an antique-lover's delight, housing the good silver, a gracious nod to times past and a practical space-saver for overwhelmed chests and drawers. It's so easy to pop open a box and voila!



There they are, ready to fly (hopefully not).

So not cutting edge,
ABL

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Living well is the best revenge...and a choice we make every day. Join me as I celebrate the bounty of beauty in all its forms: fashion, homestyle, accessories and everyday richness...as I juggle the roles of Mommy, wife, daughter, dog mommy, creative director, Zumba instructor, volunteer...all with more than a passing glance backward to an old-school, classic time when style was a way of life