Monday, March 8, 2010

March baby



I am an Aries...born this month...so I am celebrating my natal calendar with jewels to match.

My birthstone is the aquamarine, one of the most beautiful gems... a cerulean blue reminiscent of the waters of the Mediterranean...derived from the Roman word "aqua," meaning water, and "mare," meaning sea. The ancient Romans believed that the Aquamarine was sacred to Neptune, the god of the sea. Early sailors wore aquamarine talismans, engraved with the likeness of Neptune, as protection against dangers at sea. I have always felt mine were right at home when we sail.

The ancients also believed that the Aquamarine was particularly powerful when immersed. Water in which this gemstone had been submerged was used in ancient times to heal a variety of illnesses of the heart, liver, stomach, mouth and throat. This I have not tried....

The Aquamarine is a member of the beryl family. Beryl was used as far back as 2,000 years ago to correct vision, and it continues to be used today in the manufacture of eyeglasses. It is a very hard mineral, making the Aquamarine a durable gemstone for use in jewelry.

A gift of Aquamarine symbolizes both safety and security, especially within long standing relationships. My husband gave me this egg-shaped vintage ring, and most of my other aquamarines as well.



Aquamama,
ABL

1 comment:

JMW said...

Happy birthday to you! My daughter just celebrated her 5th birthday, so she's an Aries as well. In fact, in honor of her birth, my hubby gave me the most beautiful aquamarine earrings. Gorgeous birthstone.

About Me

My photo
Living well is the best revenge...and a choice we make every day. Join me as I celebrate the bounty of beauty in all its forms: fashion, homestyle, accessories and everyday richness...as I juggle the roles of Mommy, wife, daughter, dog mommy, creative director, Zumba instructor, volunteer...all with more than a passing glance backward to an old-school, classic time when style was a way of life